Specialty & Board Certifications

The Aquatic Therapeutic Exercise Certification (ATRIC) is a specialty certification that I am especially interested in. I am interested in this because I actually have some experience in this area, however, I was unaware that there is a specialty certification available for OTs.
The occupational therapist who I shadowed in high school knew that I was on swim team and asked whether I would be willing to help her in the pool with one of her clients. Her client was an 18 year-old girl with cerebral palsy who was extremely stiff because she spent all her time in her wheelchair or on her mattress. The OT had set a goal of increasing the client's range of motion, specifically in her shoulders, and knew that the pool would be a great place to work on this goal. However, there were guidelines and laws that prevented the OT from getting in the pool with her so I went along with the OT and she coached me on how to effectively and safely stretch the client in the pool. From then on, I went to the pool each week with the client and her mother to work on stretches and movements that would improve the client's range of motion.

I think that doing therapy in the water adds a dynamic to a practice or intervention that is not possible in any other setting. Water allows for a greater range of motion (no table or wheel chair in the way), decreased spasticity, and lessens the effect of gravity/impact. It would be very exciting and valuable to be an expert in aquatic therapy.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

OT 633 Guest Lecture: Aging & Sexual Health

Conceptual Model of Occupational Therapy